Also known as the Lewelling burial grounds.
The ZOAR Baptist Church established the church and burial
Grounds on 15 May 1847 on land purchased from Alvus and Lovey Walker.
The first Trustees were: William Shaw, James Barnard and Alvus R. Walker.
|Barnard, A. B.||Foot Stone|| || |
|Barnard, Anna||31 Dec 1849||62y, 8m, 28d||w. of James|
|Barnard, James||22 Aug 1857||73y, 6m, 3d||h. of Anna|
|Carter, Margaret||18 Nov 1862||56y||w. of Solomon|
|Carter, S. C.||Foot Stone|| || |
|Carter, M. C.||Foot Stone|| || |
|Carter, Solomon||27 Mar 1867||64y, 10m, 5d||h. of Margaret- CW Vet|
|Wilson, Mary||9 Mar 1860||28 Jan 1841||w. of J. T. Wilson|
|There are a few unreadable pieces of stones and probably a few unmarked graves.
This cemetery was named by the Zoar Regular Baptist Church that was located on
this site in 1847.
Thomas Hamm called it the Lewelling Burial Grounds
in his cemetery books.
Old rumors have it that there are Indian burial
grounds on this site. A few years ago, Indian descendants from Florida
use to come here and have a ceremony every few years. This area was
populated by Indians in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
UEB 10 Apr 1997